Clary's store was probably one of the earlier structures built at New Salem. It catered to those waiting for products from the mill and to the "Clary's Grove Boys." The store sold liquor as its main stock in trade, selling brandy, gin, wine, run and whiskey. Clary also established a ferry. As a Southerner, Clary left for Texas in 1833 leaving the store to Alex Trent and the ferry to James Richardson. Sports like gander pulls, cock fights and wrestling were held here.
PreviousNext