New Salem Saw and Grist Mill
New Salem Saw and Grist Mill
In 1828 John M. Camron purchased the property where New Salem was later to be laid out. That same year Camron and his Uncle, James Rutledge, petitioned the state for permission to dam the Sangamon River in order to power the mill. By the next year, the mill was running. The mill was sold to Jacob Bale in 1832 and was operated by him with his son until 1844, when Jacob died. It was then bought by Jacob's brother and operated until 1853 when it was torn down and replaced.
PreviousNext