Schoolhouse and Church
Schoolhouse and Church
Mentor Graham moved to this area in 1826 and built a brick house on his farm one mile west of here. He first taught school in a log church on the Felix Green farm. After New Salem was laid out in 1828, the growing community erected a round-log schoolhouse. Graham moved his school to the building. He ran a subscription school, charging from 30 cents to 85 cents per month depending on the age of the child. Commonly called a "blab" school, the students learned by repeating their lessons out loud over and over.
PreviousNext