First Berry-Lincoln Store
First Berry-Lincoln Store
James and Rowan Herndon had arrived at New Salem by the Spring of 1831. They built a store and opened it that fall. In the summer of 1832, James sold his interest in the store to William Berry. Rowan became dissatisfied with Berry and later that same year sold his interest to Lincoln for a promissory note. Stores were popular gathering places. Not only was merchandise bought, but stories were swapped and anything from weather to politics discussed. When a larger store and better stock of goods became available across the street, Berry and Lincoln recognized its value and moved there in mid January 1833.
PreviousNext